Emergency House Numbers
Is your number up? (These numbers are available at Village Hall at no cost.) Police, Fire and Ambulance personnel need to find your home quickly should an emergency occur. It is difficult for emergency vehicles, utility trucks and delivery trucks to find homes and businesses whose address numbers are not properly posted. Residences, Apartments and Businesses Post the emergency address numbers: Directly on your house, apartment, and garage by the street or on a post. Make sure they can be seen from the road. Can we find you in an emergency? Clearly posted emergency house numbers can save precious time should an emergency occur. Can life saving personnel find you? Response time is critical; seconds lost can mean the difference between life and death. Approximately 84% of all fatal fires burn 10 or more minutes before the fire department is notified. Fire departments in the US respond to a fire every 15 seconds.
Things You Can Do
- Purchase and install house numbers for your home.
- Have a family home escape plan and practice it often.
- Have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, especially by the bedrooms.
- Report all fires, immediately! US fire departments respond to over 2,000,000 fires each year.
- Contact your local fire department for additional information for help in protecting your home.
- As a test, ask neighbors, friends or service people who visit your home if they saw your house numbers easily. Encourage family, friends and neighbors to post their house numbers, too!